Finally we have a list of the Santa Clara recruiting class that will come to school in the fall of 2012. I was driving yesterday when I got the following email from Assistant Coach Gabe Ribas and I am thankful that he provided me the chance for the scoop. Unfortunately I couldn't take advantage of it and post it before it went up on the SCU site, but I do appreciate getting the info early!
Here is what Gabe sent me:
Our class should be released on the website today. As soon as it goes up I will send you the link.
So you can get the first scoop here are our guys.
1) Paddy O'Brien -- Miramonte (RHP/ C)
2) Kert Woods-- Buhach Colony (SS/CF)
3) Kyle Cortopassi-- St. Mary's of Stockton (UTL)
4) Jose Vizcaino Jr.-- Francis Parker School-- San Diego (3B/SS)
5) Casey Munoz-- Palomar Junior College-- Cathedral Catholic-- San Diego (OF)
6) Steven Wilson-- Dakota Ridge High School -- Littleton, Colorado (RHP)
7) Peter Hendron-- Redmond High School-- Redmond, Washington (RHP)
8) Reece Karalus-- Mt. Si High School-- Snoqualmie, Washington (RHP)
Of those players, I am familiar with O'Brien (he was in BAWS 2010) and somewhat familar with Woods (saw him play for NorCal Valley last summer in a tourney in AZ). I don't think I know anything of the other players.
I know that O'Brien is a strong, physical hitting catcher with a good arm and I see that since he is listed also as a pitcher, well, that arm strength has transferred to the mound. Not too many college catchers can effectively pitch too though, with the obvious demands on catchers. We shall see. Of note, O'Brien verballed to the former coaching staff and obviously the new staff re-recruited him well enough to get him to keep that commitment. There were some other kids who had verballed who did not keep their verbals to SCU (and in some cases the new staff "let" some kids out of their verbals) and committed elsewhere. As for Woods, he is a good athlete, runs well, plays with intensity and seems like a good fit in the college game.
As for Vizcaino,I haven't seen him play, but it is always nice to know that a player's dad was a big leaguer and in this case, his dad was a good big leaguer.
Anyway, this is the Santa Clara Broncos 2012 incoming class.